Sunday, October 6, 2013

First Week in Argentina

Hey all!

First of all, if there is spelling mistakes in this don’t blame me because I am typing very fast and the Spanish auto correct is on this thing and I don’t know how to turn it off haha. Ok so I just typed up a gigantic email and right as I was about to press send I bumped the computer and it reset.... yeah.. my luck. Now I don´t have much time and I lost the email I was going to send. I´m sorry about that!

 Pretty much all I was saying was that things are going very well for me here. I am having fun and just adjusting to the missionary life! My first area here is called San Cristóbal. I do not know if you can find it on a map but it is pretty much right down in the heart of the city. This city is absolutely gigantic.

 I love it though mostly because I love the people, especially those whom we are teaching. I do not think they taught me Spanish in the MTC because I cannot understand a single thing haha. It is actually really frustrating because I have so much I want to say and I want to communicate with the people so bad but I have no idea what they are saying or anything! But it is ok, I will learn as I continue to work and have faith.

My trainer is a great guy. His name is Elder Pereira from Uruguay. He is 24 years old and was a professional soccer player before his mission and was even invited to be on the Uruguayan national soccer team. So yeah he gave up a lot to be here! He is a great guy and is fluent in English which has really helped me a lot because his Spanish, like everyone’s here, is extremely fast and if I did not know better I would think they were speaking Italian because they have such big accents in their words. Haha but yeah it is good and really is a beautiful language.

My area is pretty poor and so it is very humbling to see people who have so little strive to give us so much. It is so hard to eat in their homes because they cook these huge meals with courses and desserts and they have just so little to give. It is amazing though and even though I cannot understand them I love them to death and I know that they love me back, even if they are making fun of my blonde hair, funny name, and inability to speak their language haha.

Other than that everything is going very well. We walk a ton, work very hard, and are actually having quite a bit of success! This last month actually broke the mission all time record for confirmations! That was pretty cool to do even though we didn´t have a baptism ourselves this week. I was able to stand as a witness in the baptisms of three converts of the other two missionaries serving in our Ward though, and that was a cool experience. Also we found some new investigators Saturday night and they came to church with us yesterday. It was really cool and they were crying during the confirmation of the new members and we will be going back tonight to teach them some more. I will let you know how that goes!!
Everything is going very good for me here. I had a lot of things in my email that I lost that I don´t have time to type again, but just know that everything is going well and I just need prayers for me to understand the language and be able to speak it with people so that I can bear to them my testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel of Christ. I love this work and I can promise you that the Lord is leading it, I have seen miracles already happening every day for my companion and myself in this work. He really is "before our face, on our left hand and our right, and his angels round about us, to bear us up" (D&C 80ish something).

But basically all I have time left to say is that I love you all, I am glad that Mom is doing well and that everything is working out. I am grateful for all your prayers and support for me. I will try to send you some pictures next week because I can´t figure out how to do it so fast. I love you all though and don´t worry about me I am doing well and am protected!!
P.S I will email on Tuesday next week because we have a mission conference on Monday!

Love always,
Elder Zollinger



No comments:

Post a Comment